Thursday 15 March 2007

The Invisible Man


The influence of Elvis Costello on my musical experience and appreciation cannot be denied. OK, so he is now a senior in the crazy high school of auditory excellence. But he is and always will be the single most influential artist on my thoughts about the "biz". The Pope of Pop, Napoleon Dynamite, the Coward Brother, The little hands of concrete, D.P. McManus ... whoever he is, he has led the way for dozens of aspiring, talented artists to "do their own thing" and not worry if the next slice of musical cake will be the melt-in-the-mouth nirvana of sound to woo the fickle industry moguls. No, he's a "one off" and I admire him for kicking the "L" out of darling and daring to be different. Thanks for all the good times, the 30 or so gigs (I lost count) and the gracious back stage presence that few have matched in my personal experience. Top bloke.

Here is one of my favourite songs from the twilight years of a great career. As far as I know this can only be found on the bonus disc (collectors edition) of the "When I was Cruel" CD

Elvis Costello - When I Was Cruel No1 (Studio version)

Essential stuff. Thanks guv.

(Right click and "save target as" to download)

No comments: